Monkeypox is declared a global emergency!
Here are a few facts related to it.
- Almost 20% of people are anxious about infected with monkeypox
- It is not a deadly virus. Still, ideal prevention and vaccination are must needed.
But, misinformation about monkeypox is spreading at a rapid pace.
As a result, we are writing this article to raise awareness about monkeypox.
Table of Contents
But first, what is Monkeypox?
It is a viral infection from the same family of smallpox.
People have misbeliefs that monkeypox is the new virus. But in reality, it was first discovered in 1958 in monkeys.
And in 1970, it was discovered in humans.
The disease has a limit. Means, it resolves itself after a certain time of period such as two to four weeks.
What are the Symptoms of Monkeypox?
Its symptoms include,
- Body aches
- Sore throat, cough and other respiratory symptoms
- Swollen lymph nodes
Body Parts where Rash May Arise!
Rashes look like pimples and are filled with fluid.
As time passes, the skin area becomes painful and sensitive. The rash may appear on the body parts such as,
How does Monkeypox Spread?
First, monkeypox can spread to anyone – children, young adults, older people and healthy or unhealthy people. It spread from skin-to-skin contact.
- Direct contact with the rash and fluid from an infected person
- Monkeypox majorly spread during sexual activities
- It also discovered that there is a chance of virus transmission even from unwashed clothes and towels that are used by an infected person
On a crucial note, many people believe that monkeypox is an STI.
But their conception is wrong!
It also transmits without any sexual nature such as kissing, hugging and face-to-face contact.
And here is the most asked question of the people.
Is there a Vaccine available for Monkeypox?
There are currently two types of vaccines available for monkeypox.
- ACAM2000 (Smallpox vaccine)
- JYNNEOS (Newer vaccine)
Both are almost 85% effective against monkeypox.
How can you Prevent Monkeypox?
Remember, until now, there is no ideal cure for monkeypox.
Vaccines and other drugs only help in reducing the pain and speeding up the recovery from the disease.
However, there are several ways that can help you avoid the infection with ease.
- Avoid skin-to-skin contact with the infected person
- Avoid sexual or face-to-face activities with the person having the symptoms of the monkeypox
- Avoid contact with the things that are used by the infected person
- Use alcohol-based hand sanitizer or soap
Why did WHO and USA Declare Monkeypox as a Public Health Emergency?
Needless to say, [monkeypox] is not a deadly virus. But it can cause serious issues in an infected person.
It causes extreme pain for almost two to four weeks in several parts of the body. In fact, many patients require hospitalization because of extreme discomfort and sensitiveness.
What’s more important here is that serious conditions can result in brain, eyes, skin and lung damage.
That’s the reason, it is stated as a global emergency in a short span of time.
The role of Digital Healthcare Solutions in this another Pandemic?
As we said, we want to spread awareness about [monkeypox].
There is a huge medical staff shortage in developed countries such as the USA, Canada, UK and Australia.
Means, if the spread of [monkeypox] remains the same, the situation will be out of control.
The beds will be available for almost everyone in the hospital but the medical staff will not be there to help.
But digital healthcare has outcome-driven solutions for that.
- Remote patient monitoring and telemedicine to help patients from their homes
- Pharmacy app development that helps patients to order the prescription at their doorsteps
The above are the most convenient solutions for the patients as they can get the ideal care, even without stepping out of their homes.
Monkeypox is preventable!
It just needs the fusion of knowledge, awareness and ideal care.