When it comes to CBD products for pets, there are many theories, literature, and resources that are available on the internet. While some promote aggressive adoption to make your pets live healthier and longer, others suggest that this is nothing but another trend in the era of social media and digital platforms!
As pet parents, we want to do the best that is possible for our canine family friends. This means giving them the best and most nutritious diets, taking them for long walks, lots of fetch sessions, and using the best Vitamin and Calcium supplements. If you are someone that is looking at integrating cbd treats or supplements into your dog’s diet, this article is for you.
CBD For Dogs: What you need to know
For this article, we have referred extensively to the study, findings, and stance of the American Kennel Association (AKC). The first thing that you need to understand is that there have been no formal studies or research that have been carried out to understand the effects of CBD on dogs.
What we do definitely have is the stories of pet parents, and this is in the thousands. Pet parents have pointed out how administering CBD oils and treat to their dogs has helped them control aggression, seizures, and neuropathic pain. There are several concurrent studies going on simultaneously in our societies.
According to vets and scientists, cannabinoids interact and react with the receptions of the brain. These endocannabinoid receptors are located both in the dog’s brain as well as their nervous systems. This means that using CBD helps in maintaining perfect body balance and maintaining healthy body function in the organs, bones, and connecting tissues.
Can CBD Help with Health Problems in Dogs?
The first and most important thing you should know on the AKC’s article is that an AKC Canine Health Foundation fully funded study is currently underway trying to figure out answers to this very question.
What we know from the studies in human beings, is that CBD has anti-inflammatory properties. This has what led many to believe that using CBD can help with the following in dogs-
- Reduce anxiety levels and stresses in pets that suffer from separation anxiety.
- Help improve heart health and promote better cardiac activity
- Improve levels of digestion, body metabolism, and nutrition absorption
- Develop a stronger immune system that makes dogs prevent illnesses
- Promote better and uninterrupted sleep at night that is good for health
However, expert vets warn that pet parents should be cautious when giving CBD products to their dogs. According to vets, pet parents should look at some possible side effects of giving CBD products. Some of the common side-effects that are associated with CBD might include dry mouth, increased drowsiness, and lower blood pressure levels.
How to Find the Best CBD Products for your Dog?
In this section, we are going to look at some ways by which you can locate and purchase the best CBD products for your dogs.
- Firstly, make sure that you are buying CBD treats and products that are 100% organic and natural. The fewer synthetic chemicals they have, the better it will be.
- Secondly, never shop for the cheapest CBD products in the market. They contain a minuscule percentage of CBD and might contain added impurities and preservatives.
- Thirdly, look at the percentage of CBD by volume in the product. A good idea would be to start with small dosages and then observe how your pet is reacting.
- Fourthly, make sure that there is no THC in the CBD products for dogs. This is dangerous and leads to serious side effects including dizziness and nausea.
- Fifthly, introduce your dog to the CBD either in the form of treats (which are infused with CBD) or in the form of an oil. Experts recommend the latter.
The Final Takeaway
As with most pet wellness trends that come and go, we would have to wait for conclusive scientific analysis to find out whether CBD is really as beneficial for dogs as they say it is. If you have any more questions which you would like us to answer, please let us know in the comments section below. We will be more than happy to guide you in the right direction.